Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dad.... through my eyes

My dad is a man that wears many hats. He is a father, husband, son, brother, uncle,musician, antique car mechanic/remodeler, banker, and most recently became a grandfather.
Lots of people told me growing up that I looked like my mom until they saw my dad. You can tell from the picture below that we have an uncanny resemblance to each other. I did get my eyes and mannerisms from my mom, but everything else is Larry Q. In other words, I couldn't deny him being my dad even if I wanted to, but forturnately I don't want to.
I have always been "daddy's little girl." That is something you never escape or grow out of. I found this to be true through experience.
One of my favorite pictures growing up, which I wish I had, is of me and my dad in true form. He is underneath an antique car working on something down there, and I am laying there right beside him with both of our feet hanging out. All you can see in the picture is the car and our legs and feet sticking out. It's a great photo. I believed my dad could rope the moon and hang the stars.
Somehow growing up my dad let me stop aging at 12 years old. I was 12 for a good 3 three years at least. I think I did stop growing to him, or he just didn't want me to become a teenager. I can't blame him, because he knew the next thing to come was dating and boys. This meant for the first time in my life there might be another boy or man in my life. I can't imagine how scary that can be for dad or any parent. But, it didn't matter what boy walked through the door, because I would always be his little girl. I think I picked a good one in the end. My husband treats me like queen.
My dad has taught me many things over the years. He taught me never to give up on something I wanted. He taught me how to be a hardworker in school and outside of school. Many people do not know how hard school is for me. My dad and I could really relate on that subject, because he had a hard time in school too. He taught me the meaning of true forgiveness. The kind where you let go of something and don't keep bringing it back up. He taught me to be my own person and have my own mind. When I grew up that became a problem, because we disagree sometimes. But never the less, he taught me to be that way.
We don't get to pick our parents. God picks them for us. God picks the ones HE needs us to have to mold and shape us to who HE wants us to be later in life. Are parents perfect? Of course they aren't. They are humans and make mistakes like everyone else, but love will they have will always remain. So, in closing, I know my dad has help shape and mold me into who I have become, and that I am thankful.
See! Even at 24 years old... I am still my dad's little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment